Friday, December 16, 2005

Monkey Kong


Caught that Giant Ape movie tonight. Turned out much better than I had expected, considering the fact that the same theme had been done a couple of times over...so it was really making me itch to see how Peter Jackson's take on this classic would be --- Well done. Perhaps it helped that the cast was pretty well selected. Watts did a fantastic job as Ann Darrow, and Jack Black...well, he fitted the role pretty well. But I can't help but feel Adrien Brody was a little bit of an extra... no doubt he was probably much better in The Pianist...but in Kong....well, the Gorilla won my vote. Come to think of it, the ending was done rather tastefully...no heart wrenching gore etc...but they got the message across pretty clearly...at the end of it all, Kong really grows on you.

Driving home, I was rather impressed that roadworks were in full swing. Just about every junction/corner I rounded, there were hazard lights, pylons, gas heated tar tins and all. In fact, right from the time I rounded the exit of the carpark, there were already workers pounding away at the ground with pneumatic drills. To be honest, it really makes more sense to do the roadworks at NIGHT, and not in the day, as was the case along many stretches of the Autobahn...it just doesn't make sense to have them blocking off the lanes in the day and make people EXPECT jams to happen...well, one of the few gripes I have about there. But hey, I'm back here, and I'm not really complaining. On the roads here, the infrastructure is really top notch.

No comments: